Link Part #VR4X (SKU: 223-4000)
The Link G4X range of engine management systems builds upon the previous G4+ ECUs by featuring an all new micro-processor, an upgraded communications chip and expanded data logging. These improvements allow for a more responsive and accurate tune, much faster download speeds and far greater internal data logging capacity.
The Link G4X range of engine management systems are well known for delivering class-leading performance without sacrificing factory levels of drivability. The G4X plug-in ECUs are designed to be the most complete plug-in solution yet.
This Mitsubishi VR4 plug-in ECU will save you time and money as it will plug straight into the vehicle’s original wiring loom without the need for messy adapter harnesses. It replaces the original circuit board inside the factory ECU enclosure and mounts using the factory brackets.
This Link G4X VR4 plug-in ECU is suitable for the models listed below:
- Mitsubishi VR-4 E38A / E39A (1987-1992) with 4G63T engine
Once the installation is complete, the Link G4X allows a good tuner to achieve an optimal state of tune to get the most out of any combination of modifications.
All Link G4X plug-in ECUs come with a base map. While these maps are designed to help save time for you and your tuner, it is essential that these are used simply as a starting point for further tuning.
The engine can easily be converted to speed density by removing the air flow meter and instead using a suitable MAP and air temperature sensor. Likewise, this ECU can also be setup to control boost electronically with in-cabin adjustment. This eliminates the need to purchase a separate electronic boost control system.
The vehicle’s original sensors & actuators are used except for the following exceptions:
- MAP sensor – An on board 4.0 Bar (up to 44psi) MAP sensor is supplied with the VR4 G4X plug-in. These can be connected by modifying the factory loom to use existing wiring that was previously used for the mass airflow sensor (contact NZEFI for details on this). Alternatively, an external MAP sensor may be connected to the ECU’s expansion connector via an XS Loom. The mass airflow sensor is not required.
- Inlet Air Temp Sensor (IAT) – An IAT sensor (sold separately) should be installed just prior to the throttle body. This can be connected using existing wiring that was previously used for the mass airflow sensor.
- Electronic Boost Control – The factory boost solenoid control wiring is used, however the boost solenoid itself must be upgraded on applications using an external wastegate or elevated boost levels. If in-cabin boost adjustment is required then a boost knob or boost switch is also needed. These can be connected to the expansion connector of the ECU using the XS Loom.
- Injectors – The G4X plug-in is designed to be used with high impedance injectors. Low impedance injectors may only be used with ballast resistors. Luckily, the E38A/E39A VR4 has low impedance injectors with a factory-fitted ballast system so no changes are necessary. DO NOT remove the factory fitted ballast resistors unless the injectors are changed to a high impedance type.
Extra sensor inputs
The expansion connector on the Link G4X board is provided to allow the easy connection of additional ECU inputs. The expansion connector provides the following:
- 5V Supply
- Sensor Ground
- 1 digital inputs
- 2 analogue voltage inputs
- 1 analogue temperature inputs
These may be used for functions such as driver adjustable boost control, switchable fuel/ignition maps, wideband lambda input, external MAP sensor, IAT sensor, fuel pressure and oil temp/pressure.
Any redundant outputs may be reconfigured & used for alternative uses. Examples include, shift light, water injection, NOS control etc.
In addition to the ECU which can be purchased separately, we also offer the following packages:
Basic ECU Package:
Turbo ECU Package:
- Link VR4X ECU
- Link XS Loom
- IAT Sensor, Plug and Weld-on Boss
- High-precision Electronic Boost Control Solenoid
- Toggle Switch with Missile Cover
Please select the appropriate package from the drop down menu.